Wednesday, May 30, 2012

My second time using a Blogger


While this is my second time blogging for class, I have actually used blogs quite often in the past. I used a blogging site called “Xanga” during my high school years without knowing what a blogger is.

In high school, I used Xanga to write about my personal experiences or something that interested me like music or movies. When I look at it again, it would bring back memories and remind me few of the things that I used to enjoy watching or listening to. I guess I never really thought about the idea of using something like Xanga to actually store ideas or collect information. Just like the old days, I am excited to see how this blogger will look after few months. From past experiences, I know that the benefits this blog will bring me will reflect the amount of effort I put into it.

Things I like about the Google blogger so far:

-Easy to upload and link items.
-It is simple to use.
-Easy to access since it is under Google.


(Few interesting references about Xanga from Wikipedia)

-          Xanga's origins can be traced back to 1999, when it began as a site for sharing book and music reviews. As of May 23, 2012, Alexa Internet ranked Xanga as the 3,879th most visited site on the Internet. The site's ranking has continually declined since 2007.

-          In September, 2006, Xanga was fined by the FTC for violating the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) for $1,000,000 USD, the largest fine leveled against any online company. Xanga was found to have harvested private information from children under the age of 13 without consent of parents for commercial profit. Xanga had failed to post terms of usage on their website, as well as failing to post their practice involving children.

-          Xanga is largely supported by advertising, in the form of banner ads that appear on the top of most pages on Xanga. Sam Garland does most of the advertising for Xanga. Xanga ads first appeared on the site on May 30, 2001. On September 21, 2005, the ads were changed to a larger leaderboard format.

No comments:

Post a Comment